Rage of the Streets megapack

Discuss subjects not related to the forums, chat or SorR here

Moderators: Iceweb38, charco, Kyojinmaru, Stev0

Postby Jack E.Lacardi » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:07 am

*sigh* I can now happily wait for v5. Streets of Rage is my childhood sweetheart lol. Its good to see such a dedicated site like this thats actually putting some heart into remaking such a classic piece.

Thank you all. =]
Furuki o tazune atarashiki o shiru
"Study the old to understand the new."
Japanese Proverb.
Jack E.Lacardi
Galsia

Postby Saven » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:18 am

Damon Caskey wrote:It's a mess, and I am of two minds.

I think Farve put a huge dent in his legacy with the "will he won't he" drama, but then in his position, I'd think most people would be doing the same thing.

As far as him playing, well that's tough. With Farve, they have a legit shot at the Superbowl this season, but Rodgers will leave for sure and then we're screwd the year after. With Rodgers, they have no shot this year, but should have a good investment in the future that will only get better.

The problem is in Pro Football today, there is no sure "building for the future" because the team dynamic can do a 180' inside a month. You have a first round draft QB in case Rodgers bolts, so IMO they should toss Farve in, and take the best shot they have at another title. Plus, if Farve does get another ring, he's 100 gone, and no drama.

DC

Well, I don't think the Packers would be hurt that much if one or the other is playing, unlike the Bengals, where the future of this season is pretty undecidable right now. :lol:
What if the world had no Streets of Rage?
Saven
Axel

Location: In the future 15,000 years from now, ruling over all the 12 dimensions and the entire universe!

Postby badjab » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:51 am

glad to see everything being resolved.
saintric_21 wrote:Last night I had sex with 3 pidgeons !!! and rubbed pig fat over my chest while playing Streets of Rage 6000 : Axels willy burn
badjab
Skate

Postby Don Vecta » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:50 am

Damon Caskey wrote:[...]RPG style features,[...]

Thank you gents!

Just to address what I was talking about for new OpenBOR capabilities, especially the script engine, here is a short clip from my own project showing off Tekken style throw chains and a SF3 inspired dizzy system (icon is both the life and stun meter).

http://www.youtube.com/v/4RGkZAEwEnU

Much higher res (but still crappy framerate) copy on my server: Video

And there is much more where that came from.

DC

I'm interested in the RPG elements. So anything like... say, River City Ransom could be added?

I watched the video, the grab inputs look quite interesting indeed.

I'm glad to see the engine is getting better and better.
Are you looking for "something"? EVERYBODY is looking for "something"!
Don Vecta

Postby Damon Caskey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:14 pm

Most certainly.

By storing XP in a variable, or even by just checking the score, you could create a true level up system. Certain variable types persist through saved games too, meaning true RPG style setups if you are so inclined. Then you can take that and run with it as far as what the levels or points mean.

For starters, the engine has built in stats for defensive and offensive properties with different attack "types". Types have been around for a while; you can freely define the type of attack any move does, like say, a punch does "type1" damage, where a knife does type2. The difference is now instead of only determining reaction animations and being limited to 6, they are unlimited and there are statistical offensive/defensive properties for each. Maybe one guy is invincible against type1, takes extra damage from type2, actually heals when hit by type3, takes minimal damage but can't block a type4, takes normal damage but doesn’t get stunned or knocked down from type5, and so on.

Those properties can be upgraded on the fly, and you can create many more with script, or completly swap out the character models for that matter. Unlocking more moves, more characters, inventory systems, really, you name it, it can be done. My throw chains for example, or not built into the engine at all. They are scripted from the ground up. Some characters can do specific double team moves as well.

One guy (OX) has even devised a tag system where you control a team and swap your active character at will ala Capcom's vs. series; if I am not mistaken you can even do tag combos if you are fast enough.

It isn't just script either. Lot's of other new goodies have been added; Mr. Q. doesn't use script, but he still lights it up every time he releases something.

SORXXX unfortunately took advantage of none of this, and you could see from day one it was going to be just a big mash up of random stuff. That's why I never paid any attention to it and didn't notice the problems before. I think there are issues with SORR too that really detract from it (some treadmill animation syndrome, Super Shiva and the the grabs being useless compared to orginal series), but that doesn't change the fact SORR is kick butt quality work. I can't say the same for the rest.

Saven wrote:
Well, I don't think the Packers would be hurt that much if one or the other is playing, unlike the Bengals, where the future of this season is pretty undecidable right now. :lol:

True. I guess that's what happens when half your team is wearing black stripes instead of orange ones.

:?

DC
Last edited by Damon Caskey on Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenBOR questions? See lavalit.com.
Damon Caskey
Galsia

Postby kaleth » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:24 pm

Damon Caskey wrote:I think there are issues with SORR too that really detract from it (some treadmill animation syndrome, Super Shiva and the the grabs being useless compared to orginal series)
Hi Damon, it would be really interesting if you could thoroughly explain the issues you see in SORR; specially the animation issue has us wondering because the animations in SORR use the same exact delays originally used in SOR.

BTW, don't bother explaining about Super Shiva, people around here don't like him already.
kaleth
SorR Contributor

Postby VampX » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:28 pm

kaleth wrote:BTW, don't bother explaining about Super Shiva, people around here don't like him already.

VampX
Adam

Postby BadChad » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Hey Damon, thats some impressive work on the BOR engine. Careful how you talk about SORR tho.
BadChad
Barbon

Postby Damon Caskey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:46 pm

Sure.

By animation, I mean what I like to call treadmill syndrome. All the frames are in place, but the offsets are not.

Take Shiva for instance at the end of his combo with the infamous vertical front kick. In SOR2, he balances weight on the back leg; his body moves as the planting leg flexes and his foot stays in place just as a real fighter's would. In SORR remake his body goes nowhere, but the back leg still torques as the animation was designed to do.

The result; it looks like he is on a treadmill. I remember there being lots of this, but it's been a while since I played and thus I can't recall other specfic examples. It's not unique to SORR. A lot of professional games have it too (Blaze herself suddenly got a case of it in SOR3), and it bugs the crap out of me. I'm not talking about auto advancing or a little slide left or right here and there, but obvious oversights of offset vs. visual animation.

@BadChad: I wouldn't say anything over there I wouldn't say here (if you are referring to my post in lavalit where I call house about the above), and as I mentioned before, these are not knocks on overall quality. I give nothing but honesty (and by honesty, I mean straight forward answers, not using "honesty" as an excuse to insult people and be a a**), explain if asked, give credit where it's due. I expect no less when someone speaks of my own work.

DC
Damon Caskey
Galsia

Postby BoMbErLiNk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:29 pm

Welcome here Damon!

I wanted to tell you something regarding a possible misunderstanding.
Moonmaster used to come around here often, that's why I said I wanted to talk with him. I think he didn't do too well publishing his message there and leaving the project, because he has basically started a conflict there and all I wanted was solving things here with him.

When I said "before doing anything" I meant precisely in case of not being able to contact with him here or contacting with you privately. I never thought about copyrights and much less damaging Lavalit in any way.

I would like to say that we did actually contact Sega last year through an e-mail message regarding the use of copyrighted material, to which they answered asking us to send a formal letter to their legal department, so that's what we did.
We accepted the ESA policies regarding the DMCA as well, otherwise this website would not exist anymore.
BoMbErLiNk
was here

Postby kaleth » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Damon Caskey wrote:Take Shiva for instance at the end of his combo with the infamous vertical front kick. In SOR2, he balances weight on the back leg; his body moves as the planting leg flexes and his foot stays in place just as a real fighter's would. In SORR remake his body goes nowhere, but the back leg still torques as the animation was designed to do.
So you more or less mean that people's feet slip like they were on ice rather than on firm ground.
Well, I guess (and hope) that something can be done about it.
kaleth
SorR Contributor

Postby Damon Caskey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:48 pm

BoMbErLiNk wrote:Welcome here Damon!

I wanted to tell you something regarding a possible misunderstanding.
Moonmaster used to come around here often, that's why I said I wanted to talk with him. I think he didn't do too well publishing his message there and leaving the project, because he has basically started a conflict there and all I wanted was solving things here with him.

When I said "before doing anything" I meant precisely in case of not being able to contact with him here or contacting with you privately. I never thought about copyrights and much less damaging Lavalit in any way.

I would like to say that we did actually contact Sega last year through an e-mail message regarding the use of copyrighted material, to which they answered asking us to send a formal letter to their legal department, so that's what we did.
We accepted the ESA policies regarding the DMCA as well, otherwise this website would not exist anymore.

Thank you Bomberlink.

I never thought you would attack Lavalit or anything. I basically was just making clear to all of our members you would have the right to, and in our country the ability as well because the stuff in question was your original work. My decision to end the SORXXX project there is a bit controversial.

As far as I know, Moonmaster has been very good about things, or he certainly has been on our end. I don't know what his current thoughts are though. He hasn't posted since I locked the SORXXX thread. It was Allan.Cylakes who wanted to cause trouble (actually came right out and said he was waiting for the next SORR version to come so he could steal that too), and has been banned for doing so.

I have absolutely 0 tolerance for the typical "INTERNETZ" bullcrap that goes on in most forums, so I cut it off quick when it starts up on Lavalit. Doesn’t make me the most popular guy in the world, but that’s the way it goes.

@Kaleth: Yes, that is exactly what I mean. You ice anaology is much better then my treadmill one.

DC
Last edited by Damon Caskey on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Damon Caskey
Galsia

Postby moonmaster1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:50 pm

hey guys, I talked to icewarrior and apparently I guess I wasn't banned.

but I gotta say I worked with crazy people, even if all I did was work with text and sprites of spiderman alot of this came full circle. next time I do a bor mod, it'll be something original and I'll leave the streets of rage to you guys as you have a better idea what you are doing. :wink:

to damon: hey, sorry about things going sour on lavalit, I just kind wanted to do the right thing, but now I'll be floating around both sites for now If anybody has any questions cause this really has been a load on my mind.
make the bastard chase you, he will follow. -johnny depp : fear and loathing in las vegas.
moonmaster1
Barbon

Postby Damon Caskey » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 pm

moonmaster1 wrote:hey guys, I talked to icewarrior and apparently I guess I wasn't banned.

but I gotta say I worked with crazy people, even if all I did was work with text and sprites of spiderman alot of this came full circle. next time I do a bor mod, it'll be something original and I'll leave the streets of rage to you guys as you have a better idea what you are doing. :wink:

to damon: hey, sorry about things going sour on lavalit, I just kind wanted to do the right thing, but now I'll be floating around both sites for now If anybody has any questions cause this really has been a load on my mind.

Hey Moon. You are still welcome on Lavalit. I honestly have no clue what part you took in development because I again never followed the SORXXX project closely. I do know that you have always had a good attitude and that makes all the difference. It was your teammates going berserk that got the project shut down on Lavalit and themselves kicked for it.

DC
Damon Caskey
Galsia

Postby kaleth » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:55 pm

moonmaster1 wrote:next time I do a bor mod, it'll be something original
Now that OpenBOR looks like kicking ass you could try to revive that old project of yours. :)
kaleth
SorR Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic (English)